An excellent opportunity to join a friendly office based in Leicestershire on perm basis.
The Purchase Ledger Clerk will be responsible for all duties associated with the accounts payable function,
working closely with buyers, manufacturing and other departments to ensure the appropriate approval
process is followed to authorise purchase orders and invoices, prior to processing and payment.
They will be responsible for supporting the accounts department in daily processing and cost control.
• Obtain new account information form for new suppliers and set up records in Sage, ensuring quality
approval for fabricator and material suppliers
• Maintain supplier records, including contact information, payment terms and bank details. Update
changes as necessary
• Regularly reconcile supplier statements
• Review purchase orders for correct coding of supplier account, nominal accounts, departments and
• Check supplier and intercompany invoices match purchase orders for pricing, quantities, goods
received and payment terms
• Resolve all invoice queries identified by communicating with procurement, goods in, project
managers, suppliers and intercompany offices
• Process invoices against purchase orders, ensuring appropriate approval at all stages
• Code non-PO invoices correctly and seek appropriate approval prior to processing and payment
• Reconcile and code corporate credit card statements, ensuring appropriate authorisation is obtained
• Carry out annual archiving of invoice records
• Provide supplier payment forecasts to Finance Manager for Cashflow forecasting
• Produce weekly payment runs and upload or input to bank account for approval by Finance Manager,
ensuring payments are in line with agreed supplier payment terms
• Make any adhoc and same day payments as requested
• Make sure pro-forma invoices and payments in advance are pre-approved and promptly followed up
with an invoice
• Ensure direct debit and standing order payments are allocated to invoices where applicable
• Maintain a clean payables ledger, with prompt allocation of payment to invoice, seek refunds for credit
notes and resolve any payment queries
Employee Expense Claims:
• Process employee expense claims in line with company travel and expense policy, ensuring
appropriate approval and correct coding.
• Assist with employee queries on Concur expense system and support finance manager in
maintenance of system.
• Issue employee advances, corporate credit cards and fuel cards in line with company policy
• Ensure timely reimbursement of employee expenses and follow up submission of corporate credit
• Manage the petty cash requirements of business support, obtain a monthly reconciliation and issue
float top up when required.
• Code and process petty cash transactions
• Ensure month end cut off for processing supplier invoices is achieved
• Identify material value invoices for prepayment and accrual by assistant accountant
• Assist with month end duties to help achieve deadlines
• Assist with annual audit requirements
• Provide cover for accounts team during periods of absence
Experience & Competencies
• Experience within a finance department and at least 3 years’ experience within a similar role.
• Previous experience using Sage200 is desirable
• Good knowledge of VAT rules and international payment processing would be advantageous
• IT literate (Microsoft Office), with good Excel skills.
• Excellent communicator – verbal and written, particularly with non-accounting employees in other
departments at all levels.
• Confident and assertive
• Ability to prioritize and to multi-task in a fast-paced environment
• Good organisation, time management skills and the ability to work to tight deadlines.
• Resourceful, good problem solving skills, attention to detail and highly dependable.
• Flexible and able to manage unexpected situations
• Good team player
• Ability to use initiative and make decisions autonomously
• Committed to continuous improvement
• Must live within 1 hour commute to the office and can drive