My client is an independent college, ideally located within the Warwickshire area.
Due to the retirement of a long serving member of staff, they have now engaged FRS to assist with the recruitment of a Financial Controller to join the organisation.
Working closely with the Directors and Business Manager, this is a key / lead finance position and will take responsibility for the below:
• Responsibility for all finance and accounting operations, facilities and site management and college transport, working closely with the Principal and executive officers of the Shareholders
• Preparation of the budget and financial forecasts, including variance analysis
• Preparing and publishing timely monthly management accounts
• Preparing weekly cash flows and bank reconciliations
• Preparation of annual financial statements
• Manage all aspects of payroll – payslips, pension calculations and payment of pension contributions and PAYE
• Manage and comply with local and government reporting requirements and tax filings, including VAT
• Develop and document business processes and accounting policies, to maintain and strengthen internal controls
• To ensure all areas of work are compliant with company policy and Ofsted / ISI regulations, and DFE Boarding Schools – Boarding Minimum Standards
• To maintain the college’s financial records and undertake the day to day financial activities in support of the college’s operation. Some of these activities are undertaken in conjunction with the partner’s central finance department
• Ordering, processing and payment of all goods and services
• Maintaining register of Agents and oversee payment of agent commission
• Billing and calculation of full time fees and short-term course fees, including discounts and extras and debt collection
• Contract management – phones, copiers, IT, utilities etc.
• Undertake any feasibility studies / project appraisals in respect of capital initiatives that the college may want to undertake
• Overall responsibility for lettings of college premises to regular and ad hoc hirers, ensuring licence agreements are in place and an appropriate balance of maximisation of lettings income with college operations
• Assist teaching staff with the budgeting and payment processing for college trips, clubs and activities
Facilities and Property Management
• To determine how the college will best deliver the support activities – property and grounds maintenance programme, catering operation, college minibuses
• Ensure the safe maintenance and operation of all college premises
• Ensure the continuing availability of utilities, site services and equipment
• Follow sound practices in estate management and ground maintenance. Negotiate contracts and obtain quotes for maintenance and project works. Ensure contractors follow instructions and requests. Monitor quality of work by contractors and manage all projects on the college site
• Ensure a safe environment for the stakeholders of the college, to provide a secure environment in which due learning processes can be provided
• Ensure ancillary services e.g. catering, cleaning, etc. are monitored and managed effectively
• Liaise with the premises staff to ensure that minor repairs / caretaking general duties are carried out promptly and to the necessary standard
• Work closely with the IT function to ensure structure is fit for purpose (Finance, Student Management, Fees Billing, Admissions etc.)
• To attend and keep minutes of Management meetings and Shareholder Board Meetings, ensuring that all papers are distributed ahead of meetings and filed
The ideal candidate will be formally qualified (ACA / ACCA / CIMA), with previous experience having been gained operating in a lead Finance Position (FC / FD / Head of Finance) etc.
Experience gained working within an education environment (School, College or University) would be highly desirable due to Ofsted / DFE / ISI Regs, however this is not essential as long as experience in the below can be demonstrated:
– Working with external auditors to prepare financial statements for a limited company
– Experience with general ledger functions and the month-end and year end close process
– Experience of estates and facilities management
– Proven ability to establish and maintain excellent working relationships (both internal and external) at all levels
In return, a competitive basic salary of £45,000 – £55,000 coupled with excellent benefits and great working environment await.