My client is a FTSE 250 business within the Construction / House Building Industry ideally situated within the Midlands and with sites based across the UK.
FRS have been enlisted to assist with the appointment of a Senior Finance Professional to join their Strategic Land and Regeneration Division.
Reporting to the (SL&R) Senior Finance Director, the Senior Finance Business Partner is a key member of both the finance team and Land project teams, supporting delivery of SL&R’s strategic objectives.
A newly created position, this role requires a proven commercial finance business partner and self-starter, who can deliver and operate flexibly within a demanding and fast-moving environment and build strong relationships with operational teams at senior levels.
The key accountabilities of the Senior Finance Business Partner are:
• To assist in providing leadership, direction and focus to the SL&R finance team to ensure there is a combined sense of vision, purpose and ambition, and ensure our people have the best chance to succeed.
• To bring a strong commercial orientation to the projects in the role’s portfolio, and a proven ability to partner with the above key relationships and the operating teams to drive performance and returns.
• To develop high quality analysis to provide context and insight to decision makers across the business.
• Continually monitor risks and opportunities on the role’s portfolio of projects to identify priorities, maximise delivery and manage risks.
• To balance commercial requirements whilst also ensuring that core financial, operational and regulatory controls are fit for purpose and are of the highest quality.
• To drive the continued focus on excellent and efficient execution of day-to-day business activity, ensuring that outputs are relevant, timely and accurate.
• To maintain an effective relationship with the Company’s valuers and external/internal auditors.
• To work closely with the SFD, SL&R Board and other members of the SL&R finance team to ensure there is both support for, and constructive challenge of project delivery and returns.
• To develop Strategic Plans (five-year time horizon) for agreement by the SFD/MD and their fellow Senior Directors for submission to the Group Board in line with Group timetables.
• To develop strong external partnerships with Local Authorities, Regulatory Bodies (Homes England, the Greater London Authority) and potential JV development, funding and Housing Association Partners.
• Input to and preparation of Board Papers for SPV’s/JV’s on the role’s portfolio projects
• To maintain strong relationships within the wider FD cohort of the Group to ensure SL&R is appropriately represented in all forums, to facilitate better execution of the SL&R strategy.
• To drive efficiency improvements in systems & processes, inter alia through supporting ongoing Projects
• To support the Senior Finance Director in:
– Execution of SL&R strategy;
– Proactively driving business performance against key strategic targets and KPIs;
– Defining accountabilities and actions necessary to achieve all targets and to ensure a comprehensive suite of management reports against which actual performance can be assessed;
– Assessment of regeneration bids against pre-determined hurdles, validating investment decisions and critically appraising the proposed assumptions;
– Delivery of planned system improvement initiatives, playing an active role in the roll-out and embed of system and process changes;
– Timely delivery of all core financial information and KPIs.
• As part of the effective delivery of our Performance Development framework, provide coaching and regular feedback to maximise performance delivery and development, encouraging collaboration and empowerment.
• Provide and facilitate effective communication to preserve and improve engagement and enablement.
• Maintain knowledge of and adhere to relevant Group Policies and Procedures, Legislation and Regulations.
• Develop and ensure safe working practices
The ideal candidate will be formally qualified with with significant post-qualified experience in industry managing risks and returns on long-term, complex, large projects.
Complex project modelling experience including sensitivity analysis and scenario analysis ideally on projects with numerous potential courses of action.
A progressive track record of success, ideally within a fast moving, forward thinking organisation.
Experience in the property/housebuilding sector is preferred, although not essential.
Excellent communication skills and the ability to work with, network with and influence experienced operational management to build consensus, challenge and drive positive change.
Able to quickly demonstrate an understanding of the business and have worked within a high quality public company environment.
Strong intellect, analytical and technical skills and ability to work cross functionally to implement new processes.
A strong customer-first focus applied to all interactions with both internal and external customers.
A very high level of initiative and self-motivation, but also able to follow the agreed way of working.
Equally comfortable when working with detail or broader strategic themes.